Monday, December 28, 2009

Theological advice for a lapsed Catholic...?

Growing up, I remember a priest blessing a present I made for my parents. The old mission in San Diego, where we used to go to church, used to have an annual blessing of the animals. I can't find anything in my guide to the catechism that tells me what it means to bless something. Can anyone answer my question and cite your source? I'd appreciate it.Theological advice for a lapsed Catholic...?
It's like a priest saying that he wants the Father, Son and Holy Spirit to watch over whatever is being blessed.Theological advice for a lapsed Catholic...?
As defined by the original Hebrew a blessing is a gift, a present, a benediction imparted by righteous men, a treaty of peace. You no doubt understand the connotation of blessing in your heart. Without entering into idle argument with you, I would ask you to consider for yourself whether an animal is capable of receiving such. I have attended this ';blessing of the animals'; in San Diego myself, with a friend, what a mess they made, seems rather unnecessary to bless the innocent animal that knows no sin to me. I see it as a big dog and pony show.


';Hey everybody, look at MY pretty doggie, aint he cute?';
blessing is really not a ritual it is more of a prayer, if you open a business you would like people to pray that it would be a success, so is a blessing on an animal or anything else it is just comitting it to God...
Check Catholic Answers. www.catholic.com
Well, I found in a dictionary, which I don't think is what you're looking for, two definitions for ';Blessing,'; which seem to make sense for me:





1. a ceremonial prayer invoking divine protection; 2. the act of praying for divine protection





It goes on to say:





For 1: Meaning:





A ceremonial prayer invoking divine protection





Classified under:





Nouns denoting communicative processes and contents





Synonyms:





benediction; blessing





Hypernyms (';blessing'; is a kind of...):





orison; petition; prayer (reverent petition to a deity)





Hyponyms (each of the following is a kind of ';blessing';):





benison (a spoken blessing)





For 2:





Meaning:





The act of praying for divine protection





Classified under:





Nouns denoting acts or actions





Synonyms:





benediction; blessing





Hypernyms (';blessing'; is a kind of...):





prayer; supplication (the act of communicating with a deity (especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving))





http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/b鈥?/a>





Perhaps if you look up some of these synonyms in your guide to the catechism, you will get the answer you are looking for in there. (I'm surprised they didn't answer anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment