Thursday, December 31, 2009

Catholics, please give me some advice!

I am almost 17, I am in grade 12 at a Catholic High School and it is my final year and I want to make the most of it. I want to do something that will make a difference to the school and improve it for future years. The way in which I plan to do that is to somehow reach out to students and help them realize that we are a Catholic school and we should be proud. However, the students at my school have little respect during mass, they talk during communion and they refuse to go to confession. Can you help me with ideas to fulfill this goal of mine for my final year of high school? Thank you so much.Catholics, please give me some advice!
I sympathize.


I'm a teacher at a Catholic School and I see many students being disrespectful. The only thing I can do is teach them and show them the proper way to be a Christian.





Maybe you could convince the staff to give the graduating students Rosaries for graduation. Or, our seniors run a Christmas Basket project where they participate in community service, to help families who won't otherwise have a Christmas. Maybe setting up some type of tradition like that.Catholics, please give me some advice!
Write fliers with dialog of your thoughts, and hand these out to as many students as possible.





Let them know what they are experiencing as a Catholic. Convince them that the church, and God, is not something to be taken for granted. Allow them to realize the real presence in the Holy Eucharist. Show how the faith can be utilized in everyday life.





Ask a priest or one of the catechists for their help with such an assignment. Good luck, and God bless.
You're going to be a senior.





Lead by example.





And don't stop once you graduate.





http://douglawrence.wordpress.com/
maybe they don't lap up the religion as readily as you do.
If there are any other like-minded seniors, recrute them to help you out.





I would opt for doing something specifically with and for the freshmen.





When I was in my parish's CYO, the activity I remember the most vividly was the one that, at the time, sent the chills of death down my spine.





We called them ';rap sessions';. You will probably need, for liability purposes, permission from the school to do this, on school property. If the school has a problem with this, you know what - find a place off campus and do this anyway.





What we did at rap sessions was talk about stuff (it didn't necessarily have to do directly with religion) but we talked about stuff that most kids would find it difficult if not impossible to talk with family members about.





There was this, ';What's said here, stays here.'; Everything said, by ';advisors'; such as yourself, or the members, was confidentional. NOBODY, was told anything outside the rap. This is why I'm thinking the school might have a problem with it.





And I'm not talking about the garden variety ';sex, drugs, and peer pressure'; talks. We did those too but I'm talking more about teaching basic Christian morality.





In this age of secularism, materialism, and moral relativism, teaching moral theology is where it's at. The students will probaby ';dig it'; for the simple reason that you are giving them a practical application for applying Catholic theology to their everyday life. They're going to realize how useful, relevant - and fascinating - Catholic Dogma is.





For example, you can start a discussion about, say, moral dilemmas. Take abortion for example. Come up with a number of possible scenarios in which a TEEN is apt to get an abortion. Everyone MUST contribute when asked whether or not each person who approve abortion under whatever circumstances.





Then get into the teaching aspect of abortion; the moral theology behind why the Church teaches what it teaches.





Another way of doing it would be to watch a video, some religious or non-religous drama that entails fundamental questions about morality, and discuss the film afterwards in a rap-session format.





Basically, the possibilities of rap sessions are limited only by your imagination, and/or the imagination of anyone involved.





After awhile, when every regular participant is socially comfortable and trusting of one another's confidentiality and friendship, start inviting them to attend Masses and other school functions as a group. The more things you guys do together, the better.





The is one rule that MUST be kept if this is going to work. What's said at the rap session stays at the rap sessions. One blabber-mouth can ruin it for everyone. If someone with a big mouth does blab, they must be kicked out, never to be let back in.





I would definitively consider doing this. You might find yourself coming back next year and taking on the group again. If you do this, and the idea really takes off, you might want to look into getting some junior's involved, so that the torch can be passed to them next year when they become seniors.





Chances are, you may find yourself coming back and being a part of these rap sessions years after you've graduated.





You will teach a lot of Catholic youths many valuable lessons - that they're not going to forget.
well my sweet little sister =) what can I tell you to help you out today?


just as much as the Catholic Church is the oneand Only Chruch of God, established by Jesus Christ himself. through him, with him in him in unity with the Holy Spirit.





No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.





it is up to each person to enbrace Jesus. as long as you hold true to your faith, the Gospels you will endure the test of time as the church has. as for the others all you candoid hope they get a clue.





hanging out rosary’s is not a good idea for they would just end up around someone neck as a necklace in which they are not or tossed aside as these that disrupt Mass surely will not pray the rosary too.





as sad as that may sound your concern is genuine and makes my happy to have you on myside. =)





';I am almost 17, I am in grade 12 '; what are you like super smart, got kicked up a couple grades ahead of time?


I hope you have one great graduation!





maybe you can find a good channel to talk to Jesus





peace and love to you my little sister =)

No comments:

Post a Comment