Monday, December 28, 2009

Can anyone give me advice on getting my daughter baptized Catholic?

I'm Catholic however I have not been to church in quite some time. I recently moved too so I need to find a new church in my area. I am also an unmarried mother and my boyfriend is not Catholic. I am very scared about how the church will treat me because of this. It is really important for me to have her be Catholic because I was very happy growing up that way. My bf however was raised evangelical and really wants nothing to do with religion because how obsessed and strict his mother is. Poor guy I want to convert him to be Catholic because he said his mom scared him when he was little. I want my daughter to think of religion as being beautiful and that God forgives you if you believe and ask him for forgiveness. So Can anyone tell me how do I go about joining a new church and asking for my little girl to be baptized and how will the church treat me? Also, does it cost anything to have a child baptized in a Catholic church? I'm sorry the details are so long, but thanks for taking time to read my question.Can anyone give me advice on getting my daughter baptized Catholic?
As has already been said, DON'T DO IT!!!!Can anyone give me advice on getting my daughter baptized Catholic?
Let your child and grow-up to follow in what she believes in. Since you're worried about being judge by fellow Catholics why would you want your daughter to feel that. She can always get baptized when shes older if the Catholic faith is what she chooses to follow. My parents gave me the choice and I'm more spiritual and in tune with the earth and nature cause I rather not be scolded on every little life experience or have it considered a ';sin';.
Yeah don't do it. Let the child grow to know Jesus through your example, and by reading the bible in a church that follows the bible. Catholic church follow a man named Pope. You need to follow a man named Jesus.


Being dunked in water does not save you. It tells the world that you know (a baby knows nothing) and follow Jesus by a change in your heart being born again.
Here's a question you should ask: Why won't my church accept one of his children. I mean, we are all Gods children whether your Catholic, Hebrew, Muslim, or an Athiest. That much is clear in the bible. No, you shouldn't baptize her Catholic. Because religion is about unconditional love, not earning it but being born into it because Christ died for our sins. That's why there were sacrifices before Christ was sent.
The modern Catholic church is one of the most loathsome religions in existence. You'd be crippling your child for life if you indoctrinate her into that medieval system of lies, threats and intimidation.
If you were so 'happy growing up that way', why are you so 'scared' of 'how they will treat you' now? You are contradicting yourself. My advice is, stay away from organized religion. It's just trouble.
all Catholic Churches that I've experienced will welcome you with open arms. the best thing to do is to pick a Catholic Church to go to and ask the priest about getting her Baptized. God Bless
Get her baptised in any religion, she can get herself baptised when she's older as a catholic.
You don't have to identify yourself when you call a local church, so I would just start phoning them and see which one seems friendly to your wishes.
It's a waste of time. My parents baptized me Catholic, and I'm as atheist as can be.
Don't
Baptized? Are you kidding? My advice would be to forget that stuff.
My advice: don't do it.
Anti-Catholicism is a cancer that is consuming Yahoo Answers, as you can see.





I have many Catholic contacts. I'll star this for you so you can get a fair and balanced answer from someone who actually knows.





Roundfile is incorrect. Catholics don't follow the Pope, who is simply the leader of the church. They follow Christ, and were among the first to do so. Also he is confusing baptism for remission of actual sin with baptism for remission of ORIGINAL sin.





Beware of fundamentalist Christian bigotry and hatred.
In Ireland where I live, most people are Catholic (in name anyway), and there is no fee for baptism, although I have heard of parishes where this was refused unless the family were regular churchgoers.





On holiday in a different country, I went to church, was noted as someone new, and asked if I had recently moved to the area. They were welcoming me, and if I had been going to live there, it was nice to know I would have been made welcome. It just happened they had a baptism and confirmation ceremony that day, and I was invited to join in their celebrations.





I think if you locate a church in your area and start attending, you will quickly suss out whether it is the right one for you. Many churches have websites, especially in US, and you could google to see before you start attending. My daughter is an unmarried mother in UK, and she had no problem having her son baptised although she is not a regular churchgoer herself. He may go to a Catholic school later, as they are said to be much better than state schools.





Whatever you decide to do, go for it. Don't let anyone here put you off. You are the one to make the decision. Let it be yours alone.
well, depending on how old your daughter is, you can ust go talk to the priest. if she is 5 years old or older, she will need to go through the children's rcia. it won't cost anything to get her baptised. and if your boyfriend decides to become catholic, he will need to go through the adult rcia and he'll learn all there is to know and on an easter he'll get all of his sacraments, baptism, communion and confirmation. good luck!!


also, as with anything, there are always judging people. but the only one you need to worry about is God, he does the true judgement around here, and as you know he loves us all and you are doing the right thing here. butthere shouldn't be any problems with judgement =)
It doesn't cost anything.


One thing you should consider is going to Google Maps, which is here:


http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en%26amp;tab=wl





Type in ';catholic church'; and then the city or town you live in, and it will come up with a list of churches in your area.





Make a few phone calls around some of the churches, ask when they'll do an infant baptism, and have one scheduled.





I'm an atheist, but I went to the Tulane Catholic Center for Mass on Sunday evenings when I was a college freshman. Nobody will treat you badly, I promise. Everyone that goes there has friends and family of their own, and they all have issues too, so you don't have anything to worry about.





If you like a certain church, and feel comfortable and welcome there (most Catholic churches I've been to are rather diverse), you should attend more and more often.





People are people, and they attend to their own life affairs as do you. Plus, people come and go to new communities and neighborhoods all the time, so you'll be with a group of people that you've never met before anyway.
I cannot answer many of your questions but I will try. I can tell you I admire your concern for your daughter but you should not try to force her into anything. If she is old enough you should talk to her and tell her how you feel about God and his forgiveness. Give her plenty of freedom to choose but give her plenty of material to look at. If you are planning on joining an entirely different church you should invite her to learn about them with you. Ask people you know are members (not members who have left a certain church because they cannot always be reliable) for information and sites that tell what a certain church believe (and is a good source). Also read the bible for it outlines what to look for in the right church.


Good luck on your journey and God bless your way.
You can come back to the Church easy, the priest won't treat you any different but I will say that some people are bums and MIGHT.





Go to confession, make it a good one and tell him all that you can remember. Then it will be as if you never done it.





Then start practicing your faith, go to Sunday Mass (it's only 40 minutes) every Sunday. Then get your daughter baptized.





Any one who treats you badly because of your past mistakes is a bum
Advice - don't do it.





Let your daughter grow up and figure out if she wants to believe in a made-up fairy tale herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment